Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Joecon 2002 Flashback

In preparing the 2010 Hasbro Box Art review I came across the pictures I took at the 2002 GI Joe Collectors Convention in Norfolk, Virginia.  That Joecon was the first one I ever went to, and it is notable for being the first convention to feature a 3 3/4" attendee set: the Crimson Strike Team (I got the other one the 12" Battle of Leyte Gulf set).  Here are some pictures I took of the event, check them out and see how they compare to this years convention in Indianapolis.


 The Parachute Drop on Friday morning, the figure was a Paratrooper Dusty figure.

The Paratrooper Dusty figure.  His parachute is not shown because he lost his on the way down and I caught him in an empty shoebox I had with me.

The 12" "Battle of Leyte Gulf" set.  Being into 12 inch figures at the time, this is the set I got, instead of......

The 3 3/4" "Crimson Strike Team" set, with the attendee exclusive Crimson HISS Tank.  You almost need a second mortgage to afford this set now.

Part of the Hasbro display, compare this to their display from this year, a folding table and glass case.

The other half of the Hasbro display, the Yeti vs. the US Army.

Hasbro display case, featuring the first appearance of everyone's favorite: molded on T-shirts!  yay

 My custom figure entry "Dark Skies Over Roswell" Adventure Team set, complete with hand-sculpted alien.  For some reason this never made it in with the other entries in the GIJCC convention coverage.

 One of the large diorama entries, I included this to show how there is a definite lack of entries in this scale at the convention these days.

 The USS Wisconsin, as part of the tour we got to go onboard and take a tour of this huge warship from World War II.

 The Nautica, where the convention awards dinner was held, this photo was taken from the deck of the Wisconsin.

My convention haul, as I was just getting back into 3 3/4" figures, all of my purchases were either Funskool or T-Crotch figures, I wised up after I got back.  

That's it for the look back, I'll see what pictures I have from the other conventions I attended, next up: 2005 in Minneapolis!

No comments:

Post a Comment