Monday, August 5, 2013

A Full Geekend

This past weekend was one of the busiest times of my entire 2013 Geek calendar.  Three different events took place that afforded me the opportunity to hunt for action figures, comics, and anything else that caught my eye.  Weekends like this come around only once in a blue moon, and I made sure I didn't miss it. 

 Friday was the opening day of the Highway 141 Garage Sale: almost 100 miles of garage sales and flea markets, all staged along a country highway in central Iowa.  So, armed with a full tank of gas and wallet, my son and friend Brian and I set out to uncover bargains hidden among the piles of baby clothes and boxing gloves (Seriously, there were tons of boxing gloves for sale, what gives?) When we finally had enough around six hours later, this was our haul:





 All told, I spent around $15 for everything you see pictured.  While it didn't find anything particularly valuable, everything was unique in it's own way.  Plus, I was able to get three TMNT figures MIB from 2004 for about the price of one new figure today, so that ain't bad!

On Saturday my son and I made our way to What Cheer, Iowa, for the huge flea market they put on three times a year.  It takes place at the Keokuk County Fairgrounds, and is filled with all sort of knick knacks, bric a brac, and just straight up junk.  After walking around for a couple of hours, we left with these items:


I got both of these large size Star Wars figures from 1979 for $40.  I jumped on them because you almost never see a Chewbacca with the bandolier intact of a Darth Vader that still had the cape.  For being nearly 35 years old, these figures are still in great shape and were obviously owned by a kid who took care of their toys.


At another vendor I picked up these four Superboy comics for $15.  The Legion of Super-Heroes is one of my favorite super teams, so I couldn't pass up the chance to get four stories from the early 1970's, not to mention the secret origin of Bouncing Boy!

And finally on Sunday there a a small comic book show at a hotel in Des Moines.  No pictures, but I did manage to get 100 comics for $40, including four issues of Spider-Men and the first issue of Uncanny Avengers, well worth 40 cents each!

Overall, it was a fun and tiring weekend, and I look forward to the next Geek convergence, whenever that will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment